Yesterday we took a walk along the towpath of our local canal. As this stretch of the canal is only a couple of miles away from home, it’s a walk we do many times throughout the year. There is always plenty to see, whatever the season. Although it was sunny yesterday, the canal was still iced over with ducks skating around on it.
I’ve selected these pictures from yesterday’s walk for Cee’s Which Way Photo Challenge.
So, if you’d like to come for a walk along a short stretch of the Lancaster canal…….
………follow these directions.
You can’t get lost – IT”S A TOWPATH !!!
- Squeeze through a narrow gap in the wall and down the steps onto the towpath and turn left (as it’s too muddy the other way today):
2. Enjoy the reflections under the first bridge at Bumbles Boatyard:
3. Have a look at the boats for sale:
4. Walk on to one of my favourite photo-spots and admire this narrowboat:
5. Notice this sign to the “Smallest Corner Shop in Lancashire” and make a mental note to visit it sometime:
6. After half an hour, we’ll get to the “house with the flag”. Closer inspection shows that they’ve changed their usual nautical flag for one with a picture of Santa and the words “Merry Christmas”. I didn’t know you could get flags like that.
For a short walk, this is a good place to do an about turn:
7. But as it’s such a nice day (and there’s a bit of Christmas weight to walk off) we’ll go on a wee bit further. And then we’ll turn back:
8. Loads to see on the way back too, but walking into the low winter sun so no photographs.
We’re nearly back now. I hope you’ve enjoyed the walk!
9. We’ve just to say au revoir to the ducks and tell them that we might see them again on New Year’s Day.
They’re thrilled by this news …..or not……it’s hard to tell with ducks:
If you’d like to see Which Way posts from bloggers around the world, please click on this link:
Manja Mexi Movie · 28 January 2017 at 16:37
Marvellous images and I’m sure the walk as well.
HMB · 28 January 2017 at 17:36
Thanks , yes it was lovely.
Tony McGurk · 4 January 2017 at 18:23
Great Ducks on the ice shot Helen & I reallly like your looking under the bridge photos. The stonework is beautiful
HMB · 4 January 2017 at 18:34
Thanks Tony. I’m pleased you like them.
restlessjo · 1 January 2017 at 18:49
No fun being a duck on ice! Happy New Year, Helen 🙂 Hope you got your walk today. It was a bit wet here.
HMB · 2 January 2017 at 18:22
Happy New Year Jo. We tried a coastal walk at nearby Fleetwood. It was blowing a hoolie.
Amy · 31 December 2016 at 13:08
An enjoyable walk, Helen! Love the Duck on ice capture. 🙂
suzannerogersonfantasyauthor · 31 December 2016 at 12:12
I love the Ducks on Ice photo.
HMB · 31 December 2016 at 13:57
Thank you Suzanne. It was fun watching the ducks sliding around and wondering where the water had gone. Happy New Year to you and yours.
suzannerogersonfantasyauthor · 31 December 2016 at 14:07
Happy new year to you too!
Cee Neuner · 30 December 2016 at 20:59
I will take one of the boats for sale. Thanks for playing. Wonderful gallery.
HMB · 30 December 2016 at 21:36
HMB · 4 January 2017 at 18:58
I’m often tempted to buy a wee cheap boat.